Interlaced In Shadows
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pride & Persistence

2 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Pride & Persistence  - Page 7 Empty Re: Pride & Persistence

Post by ChaoticDreamer Mon May 06, 2024 9:43 pm

Anjya fell silent, looking to her friend for a very long while. The noise of Ian’s house crashed downstairs, little girls screaming and giggling, Uncle Roger calling for someone to behave, Aunt Becca yelling at the tv for some sports game. Anjya contemplated before walking over to him to sink down onto the floor. It was far more difficult than she expected in this dress, and once she was on the ground she realized she was stuck there until he would help her up. That could wait though.

“You can’t not go.” Anjya informed Ian, her voice soft but her tone intense. Anger flashed in her eyes and she brushed her hair, currently twisted in a fancy half up half down do, off her shoulders. “Everyone expects you won’t, everyone thinks that she tore you up- you can’t let them know.” She sent Ian a fierce look. “You have to go, you have to hold your head up high- you have to remind everyone that SHE made the mistake.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

https://interlacedinshadows.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Mon May 06, 2024 9:54 pm

Ian groaned his protest, "Might be easier if she had any sense of remorse," he muttered. "Or if the idiot jocks would quit playing her game." Anjya wasn't the only one who had seen Em with the new team captain on her arm. Ian had seen her, too. "I'm no fun right now. You don't want to be stuck with me tonight anyway," he tried a new tactic.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Mon May 06, 2024 10:00 pm

“Are you ever fun? “ Anjya looked blankly to Ian before smirking and elbowing him. “You were born a fifty year old. Of course this doesn’t sound fun to you- but it will be, because you are taking your best friend- who is notoriously fun. Just oodles of fun.” Aniya smirked and playfully did a dance while stuck on the ground. “And afterward-“ she paused, took a breath and looked at the ceiling. “I will play that game thing with you and your basement friends.” She sighed as if pained, but then flashed him a grin. It was her ace in the hole. His little D&D group was always looking for girls- even if Ian wasn’t- and she had told him no twice now.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Mon May 06, 2024 10:23 pm

Ian groaned and looked at Anjya, trying to read her.  If she was throwing out that she would finally come to one of his game sessions, then there was no way he was going to persuade her to let go of him going to this stupid dance tonight.  "This is a terrible idea," he mumbled, but slowly stood up.   He took her hands without being asked and pulled her to stand up.  "Fine.  I'll get dressed... but..."  but--  there were a million of those, considering he didn't want to agree to this at all.  He just sighed again, "I'll meet you downstairs."  Defeat.  As if he hadn't been living in his own version of defeat anyway.  Anjya won.  He would go to the dance.  "But you can't rag on my being a nerd when you just used the word 'oodles' without being ironic."  It was the closest thing he could summon to humor.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 pm

Anjya released a noise of victory when he pronounced it a terrible idea. Just like that she knew she had won. Standing up should have been harder than it was, but Ian was strong and Anjya was graceful enough to not end up flattened back on the ground. At his accusation her smirk grew. “It will be oodles of fun. Oodles and oodles.” She informed him in a deadpan tone. “Plus, now you don’t have to explain to Papa why you are the reason I can’t use the really expensive dress my mom charged to their account.” She winked his way and left the room, shutting the door behind her.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Mon May 06, 2024 10:35 pm

"Something tells me that your father would have found you an excuse if he had to take you to some military ball," Ian called after her, wishing he could be more vindictive and say something mean. He didn't have it in him, though. Instead, when she was fine, he took his time getting dressed in the suit. He didn't hate it. But he was uncomfortable. Maybe it was because of the tie, or maybe it was because of the reason he was wearing it. Maybe it was because his tie and handkerchief-- because that was normal for a teenager to add to his ensemble--matched the dress that Em was going to wear. "Ugh" he muttered, even as he opened his door
For a moment, Ian contemplated just closing his door, locking Anjya out, and hiding all night again. But no way would his parents go for that.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Mon May 06, 2024 10:51 pm

Anjya was at the base of the stairs, chatting with Aunt Becca of all people. “I actually already have an interview with the school newspaper, I don’t think I will miss Pep Squad at all.” Anjya admitted. Becca gave a grimace- because Aunt Becca never cushioned her personality for anyone, even kids.

“And Salu is okay with you joining the media?” She sounded as amused as she was exasperated. Aniya looked curious at this.

“Does Papa not like-“ she paused and caught sight of Ian, a beaming smile appearing on her lips. “You… you are going to make them drop dead.” She decided, delighted.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Mon May 06, 2024 11:05 pm

Ian was no more enjoying this than he would enjoy going to the dentist, but that didn't stop him from going down the stairs. He tugged unnecessarily at his tie and then his cuffs and gave his mother a hopeful look. "This is your chance to save me," he told her, hoping she would take the bait. Somehow, he knew not to count on it. He loved his mother, and was close with her, but he knew not to spend on her to prevent him from going to a dance with Anjya just because he didn't feel like himself.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 pm

Becca examined her son and appeared pensive before she nodded. “Hold on,” she walked off, offering Ian no escape. Anjya leaned on the railing, quirking a brow to her friend.

“You could look less pained.” She insisted to Ian lightly. Becca walked up a moment later, with Roger in tow. He had a camera in hand and looked poised to torture Ian with demands of poses- but his brow furrowed.

“You can’t wear that tie, it doesn’t match Anjya.” He announced. Becca raised her brows.

“Why does that matter?” Becca questioned but Roger was already hurrying off.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 6:53 am

Ian groaned when his father was fetched, then again when his father disappeared to find a new tie for him. He gave a pleading look to his mother, but it didn't last long. Instead, he just began to untie the tie around his neck. They had pre-tied this one, so all he had had to do was tighten it up when he slipped it on. He still wasn't perfectly adept at tying these things, though he had gotten closer in recent years. "Did your parents take a million pictures before you left?" He asked Anjya, knowing that they absolutely would have. "And I still can't believe Uncle Salu is letting you go when you look like that." It was a compliment to how amazing she looked. He knew Salu was incredibly protective of Anjya, and that the man would have probably preferred if Ian's introverted side had won out and kept them both at home.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 8:35 am

“A million and two.” Anjya propped her chin up on the banister, but a grin combined with a flush was his response to the question about her father.

“I am sure he is much happier you are her date and not that mystery boy.” Becca commented dryly, coming up to Ian and straightening his suit before smoothing her palms over it. “Look at you, so grown up.” She sighed, a sad smile touching her lips. Roger hurried back in, two ties in his hand. He quickly compared them to Anjya before he went to Ian and began to help him put on the darker green one.

“I am afraid the flower corsage he ordered is both at the florist AND would not match, Anjya.” Roger informed the girl apologetically. Anjya gave him an amused grin.

“That’s okay, it probably would have been itchy anyways.” She shrugged now, then stepped up as Roger stepped back.

“Alright you two, gather up, Ian, put your arm around Anjya’s waist-“ Roger stepped back with his camera. Anjya, for the first time, felt a touch of awkwardness blossom in her. She didn’t sidle so close as to give Ian an easy job to do that. Ian was her best friend, it wasn’t a date. This was to make a point, not for Anjya to replace Em tonight. It was to prove to everyone that Ian was fine- happy without Em- and he didn’t have to run to the first girl willing to date him, because he had friends.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 8:55 am

Ian let his father help him with the tie, without any theatrics or complaining. He fiddled with it a minute afterward, showing his discomfort. Tonight wasn't going to be easy-- and his father's mention of the corsage, which Ian had bought with his own money, and not gone cheap with, was only a reminder of that fact. Still, when his father dictated a pose and Ian found himself turning to look at Anjya, something in him finally clicked.

Anjya was dressed in an expensive dress that her mother and her had shopped for together. He knew Tellisie. She would have been proud to do it with her daughter, excited even. Anjya had painstakingly gone through asking her father to let her go to this dance-- something that Ian could practically hear Salu muttering about behind closed doors with Tellisie in a language that Ian didn't speak.

Then Anjya had even gotten a date for it. And had to go through the process of explaining the change in plans to Salu.

Then Anjya had canceled her date. In support of Ian. She had dropped her plans for him. And she was here, changing both their plans, again, because she wanted to support Ian. While he didn't really want to go along with it, Ian saw that his best friend was doing what she had always done: being there for him in the best ways she knew how. The only thing he needed to do was return the favor. Anjya didn't deserve to suffer a miserable night just because Ian was dealing with drama.

Instead of wrapping an arm around Anjya's waist, he threw his arm over her shoulder and pulled her closer to him, "Dad, it's Anjya," he pointed out, like Roger had provided an absurd idea about the arm placement. "We are going to have /oodles/ of fun tonight," he sent a smirk his best friend's way, using the word that had just become an inside joke between them.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 9:01 am

“Anjya or not, it is-“ Roger started, appearing pained by his son’s refusal. Becca set a hand on his arm and gave a chuckle. Anjya’s smile that appeared was one full of relief then pure amusement, her arm slid behind Ian to make the pose comfortable. The two looked like friends. Roger paused before he ga e a sigh. “Alright, smile!” He began to click away.

It was fifty clicks later and Becca insisting they would be late, before Ian’s dad was done with the photos. By the time Anjya was in Ian’s passenger seat, she could feel nerves and excitement bunching together in her stomach, creating a nervous energy.

Yes, this was for Ian…

But Anjya couldn’t help but be excited too. This was her first real dance.

“I won’t force you to do this again, once it is done, it is off the bucket list.” She informed Ian brightly.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 10:16 am

"You're not allowed to leave me tonight," Ian told her, not commenting about the dance coming off the bucket list after tonight. He still wasn't happy about being forced to go to this dance tonight, but he would put on a happy face for his friend. "I swear, if you do, the first thing I'll do is call your dad," he added the vital threat to show how serious he was about this. This was not his scene, and with the social drama hanging over his head, and the knowledge that Em was going to be there with another guy-- he was dead serious that he didn't want abandoned out there.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 10:18 am

“Not for one second, you can hold my dress up if I have to pee.” Anjya shot back with a smirk, but in a more sober tone she added, “Of course I won’t leave you alone. For one, we are going together and I would never do that… but also, this is a junior senior prom. I am not going to know many people, and no one wants to hang out with the sophomore at a junior senior dance.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 10:32 am

Ian glanced over at her wondering if his friend was completely blind. "Uh- looking like that? There are going to be a lot of guys who act stupid around you tonight," he informed her, his tone flat and even. It wasn't a lie or emotion-driven. As far as he was concerned, it was a statement of fact. He looked back at the road as he drove, "I guess it's a good thing that you and your mother taught me to dance, right?" He forced a small laugh. He had stepped on Tellisie's feet a million times before he finally had gotten the idea.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 10:42 am

Anjya was silent at Ian’s statement. It was not a compliment , at least, that wasn’t his intention. Ian stated facts, which meant there wasn’t much room to argue… but she was floored by his statement all the same. She certainly felt good about her reflection currently, but not THAT confident. Something warm rushed through her system and she hid a smile by looking out the window. “Hmm? Oh… yeah, it is a good thing- I really like these shoes.” She teased with her own soft laugh.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 11:27 am

It didn't take long before Ian was parking in the parking lot. The good news about their school was that there was a lot of money floating around from fundraisers. That meant that the decorations looked phenomenal. Even from the parking lot. Lights, a cheesy red carpet, and more money spent on balloons and flowers to match the theme than Ian was convinced was necessary. Still-- this was their night, right?

And yet, Ian felt nerves kick in. "It's dumb, but, I just don't want to deal with people looking at me or talking about this..." he muttered suddenly, turning his car off and admitting what had him hesitating.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 11:31 am

Anjya stared forward at the decorations, took a deep breath and suddenly moved to face Ian. “Mama always says that people really don’t care about anyone but themselves, and if you are worried they are thinking about you, they probably aren’t.” She paused then added with a side eye, “Then again, this is high school. And your ex is a whore.” She unblocked her seatbelt. “She miscalculated though. She has gone through football, baseball three times, basketball and now swim. She is running out of sports- so everyone now knows she is a whore. That isn’t a great look.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 12:12 pm

"Yeah- So... how didn't I know that before?" Ian asked, feeling dumb. He hated missing pieces of the puzzle, but this seems like a blatant one that he should have seen. He shook his head to tell her not to answer, "C'mon. Let's go have a good time and forget about it." He tried channeling his inner Becca, knowing what his mom would say about Em. She wasn't good enough anyway, not worth his time or energy, and a whole lot of choice words that Roger would give her 'the look' for. "You and me, right?" He forced a smile and got out of the car. Before she could say or do anything, he was opening her door and holding his hand out to her like a proper date would. He was going to hang with his best friend tonight and just forget about the drama... or try to.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm

“You and me.” Anjya agreed, stepping out of the car, her grip tightening in his as her heels clipped on the asphalt. She checked to be sure her dress wasn’t caught in the car then straightened confidently. “Is it too cheesy to compare this to a game of chess?” She met his eyes and quirked a brow.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 12:24 pm

Ian's eyes narrowed slightly and he looked quizzically at Anjya. "Uncle Salu taught me that everything in life is chess. ... but I don't see the pieces right now," he confessed. How could this be chess? This wasn't chess. This was a broken heart. Because the girl he cared about had two-timed him like it was nothing. A girl he had cared enough about that he had almost made a huge mistake with. How could this be chess? Who was the Queen? Where was his bishop? He just couldn't see it right now. Maybe that was why he was struggling so much-- he was really good at seeing Salu's metaphoric chessboard of life, usually. This one wasn't in his purview.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 12:36 pm

Anjya raised her brows. “Your opponent is Em. She tried a sneaky maneuver, you cut her off and did the unexpected, you dumped her. Her taking the swim captain to the dance? That was her next move. This is ours.” She didn’t know chess well enough to name pieces or strategies- but she could see the board. “Her next move will be to start a rumor about me. Maybe something like, I am trying to bang every guy on the baseball team before the end of the year. “ Anjya considered this sagely before giving a nod. Yeah, that was pretty predictable. “And she will start a rumor about you, though I am not sure what. I will think about it. She isn’t that deep, it will be too obvious.”

Ooc: What if Anjya goes to the restroom and hears the rumor, that Ian is swinging for the other team and that’s why Em cheated on him because he wouldn’t sleep with her.

So Anjya leaves the bathroom, goes up to Ian and kisses him. Like full on, tongue down throat, kiss.

Which is of course her first kiss XD

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Tue May 07, 2024 12:56 pm

OOC: XD I love that. I was actually thinking, earlier, that they should end up having to look more like they were on a date than they were trying to... so that's perfect.

Also, I was thinking, that somebody spikes the punch and Ian and Anjya end up a little tipsy-- enough that they have to call parents to come get them, but not enough to be falling over drunk.

BIC: Ian thought about Anjya getting caught up in the rumor mill and realized that the chess board wasn't about him or Em. It was about public opinion at school. So Em was racing to take Ian's King to bring her status back up... Ian was the opponent who stood in her way because he knew too much. So then how did he get on the offense of that? Showing up here would be an unexpected move... but it was just moving a pawn. He needed to engage his rook...

... his friends. He needed to make sure that Em knew she couldn't get to his friends first.

"Soooo I guess we are going to have to enjoy this dance, then. Publicly. With dumb high fives for everyone I know?" Ian asked, looking at Anjya to see if he had caught on. "Because the only way to hold my Queen is to wave her blatantly in front of Em's face." His Queen was his heart. If no one knew how broken up he was about this, then Em and her impact looked smaller. She wasn't worth it-- his mother's voice rang out in his head. Now it was time to prove it. Right? He looped his arm in Anjya's, locked the car, and led them in the direction everyone else was going.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Tue May 07, 2024 1:02 pm

Anjya flashed Ian a brilliant smile. “Exactly, so… let’s go have the time of our lives.” She pulled closer to him and began to walk. “It doesn’t hurt that you look very handsome. You blow Pete out of the water, hands down.” Anjya decided, plucking a stray fuzz off his sleeve and flicking it away.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next