Interlaced In Shadows
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pride & Persistence

2 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pride & Persistence  - Page 2 Empty Re: Pride & Persistence

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:34 pm

"Midnight if they are together. And I'll pick them both up." Salu agreed. "Loosening is one thing. Losing them completely is another." He wasn't ready to give his daughter complete freedom in the world yet.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Becca looked amused now, her attention back on the team. “It’s hard to face that in two years Ian will be off to school, and one more for Anjya.” She muttered. “I still see Ian as my round faced toddler who I couldn’t leave alone for five minutes without him taking something apart to learn about it.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

https://interlacedinshadows.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:53 pm

Salu laughed lightly about Ian no longer being a toddler, though he wasn't so ready to laugh about his Little Love being grown up. "I still remember the first time she woke up at night and reached for me instead of crying for Tellisie." He sighed, "What wild adventure has Ian figured out for college? Is he still avoiding all military schools and ROTC programs?" Ian had been pretty adamantly against going military his entire life.

Salu watched as Ian threw a few practices with the pitcher and first baseman, practicing some pick-off throws. His eyes drifted to Anjya as she warmed up. High school. When did he become old enough to have a child in high school? ... when did he become old enough to stop remembering high school?

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:58 pm

“I gave up on ROTC and the Air Force the moment he shot past six foot.” Becca drawled, her eyes sharp on her son, a pride she couldn’t hide resonating in her posture. “I thought he might follow your damn footsteps. But he is adamantly lost.”

“He isn’t lost. He is waiting for all the pieces to be on the board.” Roger insisted, looking to his son. “And he was never going to be short enough to fly a plane.”

“Thanks to you. I regret not tying a brick atop his head.” Becca smirked. “What about Anjya? Is this dance thing really a thing or is she just trying to make a social life?”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Salu laughed as Becca described her son as lost, "You guys have a good kid there," he smiled back over at Roger for a second, then glanced back to Anjya, "I think she just is trying to find a way to fit in. I don't think dance is really the thing. But she is excited about her stunts tonight."

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:15 pm

“Thank god. What a waste of brains otherwise.” Becca breathed out. Roger was quick to make a disapproving noise. When his wife looked to him, he shook his head. “I suppose you would say, whatever makes them happy.”

“I would.” Roger chuckled. Becca shrugged.

“Anjya has the makings of a million careers, her parents have worked hard to make sure of that. A dancer would be a waste.” Becca subsisted lightly, “it doesn’t mean we wouldn’t support her, though.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:21 pm

Salu beamed at both adults, "She has the world at her feet, I would much rather her not go through it with the whole world looking at her..." he gestured off-handedly, "... like that." He was always going to be a proud parent. Always. His daughter was his golden child. But... professional dancer? He hoped for so much more for her than that. "If Ian decided he wanted to be a postal worker, I would be right there next to him to celebrate his hiring. But it would be far beneath his abilities. You know it, Rog," Salu pointed out.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:25 pm

Becca made a face. “I would be sure to tell him how much more he was worth.” Roger followed Salu’s gesture and raised his brows as he quickly looked to the baseball players instead.

“I don’t know I would let the girls out looking like that.” He admitted honestly. It didn’t help that the dance team had begun one of their routines on the sidelines, or that a gaggle of teenage boys now leaned on the bars nearest to them to watch.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:32 pm

Salu nodded his head as he turned to look at the group of teenagers, "I promise that is a different conversation we will be having," he muttered. "But for right now... I'm just going to be the proue parent of a teenager who has been working hard for this." A small smirk befell his lips as he paused. After a second of observing the teens, he called out, "That's my girl! You've got this Anjya!" While some things had changed through the years-- including his job, about half a million times-- his ability to project his voice, his intimidating status, or his ability to maintain a muscle mass, were not on the list of what had changed. He pumped a fist into the air as if to emphasize his enthusiasm... or maybe just to emphasize that very muscle mass that he would rely on to intimidate the hell out of the boys who got too close to her.

Ian looked up from where he stood, drinking water, glancing into the stands to see his parents and Salu. He waved towards them, then shook his head as though to warn them off from embarrassing him, too.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:41 pm

As if Salu had sounded an alarm, all the boys turned, spooked. At the sight of Salu, their grins faded. Becca watched as the teens moved suddenly as a group to further off in the stands. Anjya , meanwhile was beaming to her father, waving to him as the routine finished. Becca’s attention turned to her son just in time to wave his way, then give him a thumbs up.

“I promised Ian you wouldn’t yell at the ump today.” She added through the side of her mouth.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:49 pm

"Not sure you can keep that promise," Salu laughed. "Hopefully it's a better ump than last time." He leaned nonchalantly against the rail, not able to his the fact that he was grinning at his daughter's enthusiasm... and naivete to his easy boy repellent.

Ian turned back to his team after waving briefly at Anjya. It wasn't long before the crowd had filled in the bleachers and the anthem played. The game began, with Ian starting in his usual catcher's position. After a few strong plays that prevented the opposing team from even getting on base, Salu glanced back to a man in the stands with a clipboard, "Scout. Five o'clock," he announced to Becca.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:50 pm

“He has been there for a minute, your observation skills are getting rusty.” Becca teased Salu out of self preservation, her expression lined with stress. “He just needs to keep his head in the game and out of the outside complications.”

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:12 pm

Salu smirked, taking his chance to nudge his friend this time, "Nah. Just thought I'd wait to see if your head would explode before I said something," he teased. "Don't worry. Ian doesn't choke. He's making great calls." As if on cue, he heard two sharp whistles from below and watched as the outfielders began to move into a different position. Ian's signal to his team was unmistakable as number twelve stepped up to bat.

"I've got your number, Twelve," Ian whispered beneath his breath. He gave a two-fingered sign to his pitcher. The pitch was fast, but the swing was dead-on. The resounding crack was loud and had fans of the other team going wild.

"Get there! Get the hell over there!" Salu was in his feet, animated, yelling at the players.

The ball wasn't caught, but it was recovered quickly.

"Second! Second!" Salu shouted. Jothias had joined his side and was jumping up and down, screaming the play out right along with his father. Unfortunately, the throw was just a little too slow and number twelve kept running.

"Not third! Get it home! Give it to Ian!" Jothias screamed.

While it was unlikely that the players could hear the little boy, it didn't seem like Jothias was the only one with the idea.

Ian was on his feet, yelling "here! Here!" Wheen the ball was thrown his way, the player was too far along to allow himself a pickle. Number twelve went diving for home plate, trying to race the ball. The cloud of smoke prevented the outcome from being seen in the stands for a minute. The hush was instant and intense. Salu and Jothias both stood still in the stands.

When the cloud was gone, Ian's glove, with the ball, was clearly seen on home plate ahead of the runner's hand. The umpire didn't hesitate to call it with a short bark, "Out!" Both sides of the field went wild.

"Way to go Ian!!" Salu called. Jothias was chanting his hero's name. The scout was writing on his clipboard.

Ian was laughing as his teammates came up to give him high fives and even snuck a quick look back to the stands for his parents and sisters.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:34 pm

“Come on! Bring it in! Go! Go! Go!” Becca was half over the bars, one hand clutching the railing, the other waving wildly. Her screams of encouragement were up there with Salu’s and Roger’s. The girls, who truly had no care about baseball, even picked up on the excitement and were jumping up and down screaming. When the call was out, the entire group exploded with excited cheers. Becca nearly fell over the railing , catching Salu’s shoulder to stabilize herself.

“C’mon- yes! Go go!” Anjya abandoned her routine to join in on the cheers from the stands. Her squad mates followed suite, jumping and waving their Pom poms. Something flipped in her chest when the cloud of smoke disappeared and revealed Ian standing there- victorious. Anjya screamed her delight, hands lifting in the air.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:42 pm

Ian beamed at the attention he was receiving, making sure to wave at his family and then to wave in Anjya's direction as well. It only took another minute before he was squatting back down into his position, ready for the next play. It was only a few more plays before they were switching which team was up to bat.

Salu took this switchover as an opportunity to send Tellisie a text. 'Anjya wants to go to a party. Ryan Vogt. Opinion?'

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:44 pm

‘Francine Vogt’s son? Is Ian going?’ The text was rather swift. Then followed by another, ‘If Ian goes…’

“This is what I was talking about. Strategy. This is a game Ian would thrive in, that is what I have said all along.” Becca beamed with pride as she stepped back. Roger chortled.

“Yes, Becs. We have all heard you. For the last twelve years since you wanted him in little league.” He leaned back and nudged Salu. “What a disaster that was.” He muttered.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:54 pm

'Curfew?' Salu sent back, then looked over to Roger and grinned. "Only because Becs went Crazy Mom-Coach out there," he laughed, his eyes bright. "We just won't tell her that it paid off. He /is/ good."

Jothias jumped onto one of the benches and shook his head at his father, "Nuh uh! He's the best!" He proclaimed. "He has the best catcher stats in the whole varsity division! And his batting stats are good, too. But not the best-- but that's because he knows how to be a team player and get people home when bases are loaded and he doesn't have to be a-a-" he frowned as he sought out the word in English, but came up empty. Instead, an Italian word came out.

Salu laughed, "I think we would call that a glory hound." His son nodded eagerly.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:00 pm

“I thought she was going to get arrested.” Rogers muttered beneath his breath.

“I can hear you.” Becca informed him lightly. “I wasn’t that bad.” She finished this by leaning forward, “That was a foul!!” She yelled out. Roger shook his head.

‘Eleven? Eleven thirty?’ Tellisie knocked back to Salu.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:08 pm

'I said eleven. Roger said midnight.' Salu was quick to send back. A separate text followed: 'Not okay with uniform.' He looked up as Becca called the shots out, "Not supposed to be yelling at the ump today, remember?" His tone was teasing and he gave Roger a light nudge. "New fundraiser: a buck for the team every time she argues with the ump or coach." He said this as if he hadn't been threatened with being thrown out of Ian's games more than once.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:10 pm

“I promised for you, not for me.” Becca was swiftly defensive.

‘Eleven thirty’ Tellisie decided now, before following up, ‘I think she looks adorable’ before adding ‘Knew you would hate it.’

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:17 pm

'Adorable was the dress she wore in first grade.' Salu maneuvered himself so that he could snap a picture of his daughter and send it to Tellisie. 'Too mature. Not okay.' Eleven-thirty would be the ruling curfew for Anjya. "You made a promise I didn't agree to," Salu accused Becca now, getting up fully and going back to the rail. "Hey, hey! He's up to bat next!"

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:19 pm

‘She is maturing. It’s the team uniform, we can’t change it. “ Tellisie texted back. Becca was laughing now as Roger gave a groan.

“Don’t embarrass him. “ Roger insisted now firmly.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:28 pm

"Let's go, Ian!" Salu called in support of the teenager.

Ian stepped out to plate, lifting the bat and adjusting his grip and stance.  He tapped the plate with the top of his bat, then brought it all the way up once more.  In that time, he was surveying the field and trying to determine what was needed.  

"Hit it out of the park!" Jothias screamed.

Ian was oblivious to what was happening in the stands around him. His bases were fully loaded. The other team was good, but they weren't communicating well. Especially in the outfield. He just needed to get a really good hit in.

The first pitch was a dud. Too high, and Ian knew it. He jumped out of the box. A ball was called by the ump. No one made for a steal for home. Reset. Second pitch was just outside, but the ump called it a strike.

"That was a ball! I could see it from here!" Salu was shouting from the stands, but Ian could barely make it out. "Good eye, Ian!"

Third pitch. Perfect. He swung and took off before he even heard the crack of the ball against his bat. Bat tossed aside, he made a bee-line for first. He could hear the dull roar of the crowd as his man on third ran for home.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaoticDreamer Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:47 pm

“WHAT?! Strike? Are you blind?!!” Becca was practically over the bars when Roger caught her easily and pulled her back towards him. As if an anchor to remind Becca to behave, his arm remained lovingly around her waist. Becca scowled and folded her arms, but her eyes remained riveted on their son. When Ian struck the ball, both his parents were screaming while jumping up and down. All three of his little sisters were practically dancing around as they screeched with excitement too. The cheerleaders and dance team at the sidelines all exploded in excitement.

“Ian! I-A-N! He is the MAN! He takes it! He makes it! He can do it! Yes he can!” The cheerleaders began to chant to Anjya’s right. She ignored them, eyes glued to Ian as he ran.

“He is the only reason they ever win.” Emily whispered to her as everyone continued to cheer. Anjya grinned.

“Of course he is.” She agreed with full confidence in the boy she had grown up alongside.

ChaoticDreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddballgymnast Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 pm

Ian made it to first base, while his teammates made their own scramble. After a quick surveillance of where the ball was in play, and where his teammates were, he went dashing for second also. It wasn't until he hit third that he ran into trouble. With all of the other players already at home, the whole opposing team was solely focused on Ian.

Salu and Jothias had both been screaming directions at Ian the whole play. "Second!" "Third!" "Go!" "No! Stay!" "Watch it!" Salu's bellow was equivalent to the roar of the crowd by itself, while Jothias was completely drowned out by his father.

Ian took a chance and made a run for home, but the team anticipated that. He tried for third, but they were quick. He ended up in a pickle. He cursed in his head, darting one way, then another, then back. No direction was correct. He could hear his coach screaming. He could hear his family. He could hear his team. It all faded into a dull whooshing noise as he centered in on what he needed to do. This pickle was going to wear him out if he let it. So as he started back for third, a plan popped in his head.

He locked eyes with the third baseman just before the boy caught the ball. This time, Ian didn't run. He challenged the third baseman, stopping, staring. A grin crossed his lips and he lifted a hand up, making a gesturing motion that called the player out to him. "C'mon," he murmured under his breath. "Come and get me." It wasn't a challenge made loud enough for anyone to hear. Nevertheless, the boy got the picture. He stepped away from third, starting down the line towards Ian, hunger in his eyes. But Ian knew how to play the game.

Salu quieted, eyes sharp, and reached out to set a hand on Becca's shoulder. His whole body settled and he narrowed his eyes. He instantly knew what Ian was doing. "Not yet," he whispered. "Not yet. Wait him out." This was not the game of baseball now. This was chess.

Ian might not be able to hear his uncle, but his thoughts lined up. This was a game of bluffing, tempting, taunting, and daring. This was deciding how far was far enough to get the baseman off his base, without risking getting tagged. This was pushing the limits just far enough without taking one step over the line in the wrong direction. He watched the baseman-- his body language, his feet, his expression. He needed to know if he was going to charge to tag him. And Ian needed to stay in control of the situation.

What should be a physical game had just become a mind game. Finally, with the boy close enough, Ian's feet jumped in the direction of home plate. The boy took the bait. The ball was thrown. And Ian took off, back in the direction of third base.

The crowd went crazy as home plate caught the ball, third base yelled for a return throw. But Ian was already past him and sliding back to safety at third by the time he caught the ball.

"Now," Salu had whispered at the precise step that Ian had decided to act from-- reading the body language in the same way that Ian had. As soon as Ian was running again, Salu's grip on Becca's shoulder tightened and he began to yell and shout again. Jothias looked at his father strangely as the man predicted the exact moment that Ian would take off, then lost himself to jumping up and down and cheering for Ian as well.

Ian dusted himself off as he stood up on third. He pumped his fist in the air victoriously. He had gotten three runs off his hit and made it all the way to third. He just needed to either steal home or wait for another hit. He grinned, "Bring me home!!!" He called to the next batter stepping up, but the crowd was still roaring at him.

"Boy's got instincts, Rog," Salu was beaming.

Oddballgymnast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next